The main responsibility of the Media Relations Manager is to manage the flow of news about the company to the media and create an effective strategy to drive positive news coverage. S/he develops and maintains working relationships with members of the local and national media in order to promote strategic messages about the company and ensure the company reputation is protected. This position is responsible for content creation, including press releases, executive talking points, fact-sheets, bios, articles, press kits, Q&As, and other content initiatives; and for preparing senior management for interviews providing background, talking points, Q&As, as appropriate. The position tracks, distributes and analyses media coverage about the company and prepares summaries of media activity for senior management. The Media Relations Manager serves as the corporate liaison for the company’s regional government and public affairs offices when the crisis communications plan is deployed; and is one of the department’s members of the company’s Business Continuity Plan.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Business, or Related field.
- Experience working in media relations required
- Proven track record of designing and executing media campaigns
- Established relationships with journalists and media outlets a Plus.
- Exceptional news release writing and editing skills
- Knowledge of AP Style
- Ability to organize and manage several priorities simultaneously while working under pressure and deadlines.
- Highly organized and works with close attention to detail
- Ability to work independently
- Must have the maturity and confidence in dealing with executives and high ranking members of national and international media, national and international institutions, government and non-government agencies.
- Position requires 30% travel.
The minimum number of years of job related experience required by this job is 8 years
1. Communications Consulting: Prepares senior management and/or content owners for interviews by providing background, talking points, etc. Plans and oversees press events and other activities as requested.
2. Media Monitoring: Monitors local, national & international news stories, analyses public opinion, and trends. Manages and produces the Daily News Summary, topic specific special compilation reports, and distribution & press clippings (of CITGO and PDVSA news). Proposes and executes “action plans” based on media monitoring and prepares alerts & special reports. Files records of all media monitoring reports/ clippings.
3. Media Relations: Develops, coordinates, executes & evaluates corporate Media Relations Plans. Manages relations with news media reporters that cover the energy industry and sources related with social responsibility programs, including arts, sports and others. Responds to media inquiries in a timely manner, even in the case of “no comment” answers, ensuring that CITGO's viewpoint is accurately presented in their stories. Prepares and updates a weekly record of media inquiries & follow up outcomes. Serves as liaison with different departments corporate-wide to research answers, ensuring that the information provided is always accurate – Keeps records of those internal approvals. Coordinates “Media kits”, Q&A, CITGO’s Profile and other regular & special products for media in both printed & web versions (keeps updated information on “News Room” at citgo.com). Maintains an updated list of media contacts.
4. Media Sponsorships: Manages all media sponsorship contracts, advises on opportunities and reports results. Ensures the continued evaluation and improvement of this activity. Maintains updated records /clipping of ad placements and handles the administrative process regarding payments.
5. Writing and editing news and stories: Manages the flow of news about the company to the media, which includes writing/editing responses to media inquiries, press releases, articles, and other content. Works with legal and other groups to draft content. Researches information, writes, gets approvals & distributes press releases, articles and other company stories. Follows up on the outcome of this effort through monitoring and evaluation.
6. Corporate Presentations: Serves as liaisons between other departments and Corporate Communications to review and approve information and/or presentations others department will deliver that may be perceived as a public statement. Ensures no confidential or proprietary information is being presented, obtains legal’s approval and ensure the proper use of CITGO’s image and signs off on all communications products for media and external communications.
7. Crisis Communications Support: Coordinates and maintains corporate “Crisis Communications” program for various levels and facilities. This includes statutory responsibility under Oil Pollution Act and other emergency response legislation. Maintains an updated Communications Plan for crisis or sensitive issues as well as updated contact lists. Keeps Communications Manager informed of these plans; provides alerts and initiatives.. The Media Relations Manager serves as the corporate liaison for the company’s regional government and public affairs offices when the crisis communications plan is deployed; and is one of the department’s members of the company’s Business Continuity Plan.